March 9, 2010

Oscar and Politics: "Washington for pretty people"

It's been said that Washington is Hollywood for ugly people; therefore, it follows that last weekend's Oscar night could prove the corrolary.  Witness the day-after buzz over Mo'Nique's direct, emotional acceptance speech after receiving the Best Supporting Actress award for her portrayal of an abusive, neglectful mother in the hit movie, "Precious." 

There was something about that whole setup that made me uncomfortable -- 'Nique won for an amazing performance in a remarkable movie, something that's not in dispute. I kept having trouble putting my finger on what bugged me, until I stumbled on Kate Harding's article in Salon.  That pretty much nails it.

Welcome to post-racial America, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...